Visit the Milken Institute School of Public Health website for additional information about academic programs and information about GWSPH. Graduate admissions information, including application requirements and deadlines, can be found on the GWSPH Graduate Admissions website.
The following requirements must be fulfilled: 48 credits, including 10 credits in PhD core courses, 20 credits in program-specific courses, at least 10 credits in elective courses; 8 credits in dissertation research; and successful completion of a comprehensive examination.
|PhD core courses (10 credits)|
|PUBH 6080||Pathways to Public Health|
|PUBH 8099||Doctoral Topics (PhD Seminar: Cross Cutting Concepts in Public Health ONLY)|
|PUBH 8418||Applied Statistical Analysis|
|PUBH 8416||Study Design and Evaluation Methods|
|PUBH 6421||Responsible Conduct of Research|
|PUBH 8435||PhD Dissertation Proposal Development|
|Program-specific courses (20 credits)|
|PUBH 8620||Seminar: Foundations of U.S. Health Policy|
|PUBH 6340||Health Economics and Finance|
|PUBH 8405||Advanced Topics: Health Economics Research|
|PUBH 8622||Healthcare Payments, Systems, and Delivery Models|
|PUBH 8404||Advanced Topics: Health Systems and Health Policy Research|
|PUBH 8417||Qualitative Research Methods and Analysis|
|PPPA 8022||Econometrics for Policy Research|
|Dissertation Research (8 credits)|
|PUBH 8999||Dissertation Research (8 credits)|
|At least 10 credits in elective courses. A recommended list of electives is available in the program guide.|
|Successful completion of a comprehensive examination is required.|
Graduation requirements as follow:
- Credits: Successful completion of 48 credits.
- Comprehensive examination: Once the course of study is completed, students are required to pass the comprehensive exam to be officially admitted to the candidacy phase.
- Dissertation: PUBH 8435 dissertation proposal writing plus 8 credits in dissertation research are required. Once the proposal has been successfully defended and the dissertation research credit requirements has been met, the oral defense may be scheduled.
- Grade-point average: A minimum overall grade-point average of B (3.0).
- Time limit: The degree must be completed within seven years.