1. Apply directly to the Director of Graduate Studies (DGS), firstname.lastname@example.org.
- An online application in the GWU Student Portal is not required.
- You do not need to complete the GRE nor do you need to pay an application fee.
2. Submit the following materials to the DGS:
Statement of purpose
- Your statement of purpose should be a well-written document of about 250-400 words that explains why you want to get an MA in Sociology or Criminology. Discuss how you would benefit from the Master’s (e.g. research, career aspirations), how you would contribute to our program, and any aspect of our department (e.g. classes, faculty research interests) that meet your goals. Note other background and accomplishments if relevant (e.g. collegiate, professional, and community activities). Avoid key life moment ‘stories’ unless they help to explain your goals.
Letters of recommendation
- Three letters of recommendations from professors whose class(es) you have taken; two of these should be from Sociology Department courses. A fourth letter from a non-academic source, e.g. athletic coach or employer, is optional.
- Letters are sent directly from the recommender to the DGS at email@example.com. Candidates do not see these letters.
- Choose a well-written example of your writing, preferably relating to your current major and/or intended masters.. Course papers are appropriate, as are other genres.
Unofficial undergraduate transcript(s)
Combined degree application form
- Complete the combined degree application form, including with the signature of Sociology’s Director of Undergraduate Studies (DUS), Dr. Daina Eglitis (firstname.lastname@example.org). If admitted, the DGS will forward the form to CCAS Graduate Studies (Phillips Hall, Suite 215, email@example.com), and that office will email you an admission letter. If denied, the DGS will notify you by email and include firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. With the exception of the letters of recommendation, send all material in one email to email@example.com with an appropriate subject line. If possible, please combine all the documents in a PDF with the exception of the Combined Degree Application Form.
4. You are encouraged but not required to meet with the DGS for further information and to discuss your application.