Doctor of Philosophy in the Field of Social and Behavioral Sciences in Public Health
Program Director M. Napolitano
The Ph.D. in social and behavioral sciences in public health degree program is designed to develop public health scholars who are at the forefront of social and behavior change. The program trains students to conduct independent research that is theoretically sound and applicable across a variety of contexts in order to prevent diseases and promote health and well-being.
The goal of the Ph.D. degree program is to train students to conduct rigorous and state-of-the-art independent research to advance understanding of social and behavioral sciences in public health. The program is designed to be four years in duration, with comprehensive exams at the end of the second year, and full dissertation work during the remaining two years.
PhD, Social and Behavioral Sciences in Public Health Competencies include:
- Synthesize the research literature in public health social and behavioral sciences as well as be able to compare and contrast prominent social and behavioral science theories.
- Critically examine and employ distinct theories, or combinations of theories, at multiple levels to study health outcomes.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge in the principles of evaluation and study design and data analysis as well as develop evidence based questions and predictions, gather, synthesize, and interpret empirical evidence.
- Exhibit the ability to apply scientific knowledge to develop new conceptual models and/or research predictions, including, justifying new questions with existing literature, selecting appropriate research methods to study those questions, and indicate the potential contributions of the proposed research.
- Report research objectively, insightfully, and in the context of theory and prior research.
- Have an awareness of, and adhere to, the ethical standards of the discipline for the conduct of scientific research.
- Gain competency in classroom instruction and practices in substantive issues in public health social and behavioral sciences.
The following requirements must be fulfilled: 48 credits, including 12 credits in foundation courses, 9 credits in required courses, 6 credits in advanced research courses, 14 credits in elective courses, and 7 credits in dissertation courses.
|PUBH 8416||Study Design & Evaluation Methods|
|PUBH 8417||Qualitative Research Methods and Analysis|
|PUBH 8418||Applied Statistical Analysis|
|PUBH 8419||Measurement in Public Health & Health Services|
|PUBH 8408||Advanced Topics: Health Behavior Research & Practice Applications|
|PUBH 8409||Advanced Topics: Health Communication Research|
|Behavioral Medicine: 3 credits (course pending)|
|Advanced Research Methods and Statistics|
|6 credits from the following:|
|EDUC 8140||Ethnographic Research Methods|
|EDUC 8172||Multivariate Analysis|
|EDUC 8173||Structural Equation Modeling|
|EDUC 8131||Case Study Research Methods|
|PSYC 8231||Development of Psychometric Instruments|
|PUBH 6263||Advanced GIS|
|PUBH 6273||Ethnographic Methods|
|PUBH 6310||Statistical Analysis in Health Policy|
|PUBH 6533||Design of Comm Health Surveys|
|PUBH 8364||Quantitative Methods|
|PUBH 8366||Biostatistical Methods|
|14 credits in pre-approved elective courses selected from among any the following subject areas as well as the Advanced Research Methods and Statistics area, above.|
|Social and Behavioral Sciences|
|PSYC 8204||Experimental Foundations of Psychology: Biological Basis of Behavior|
|PSYC 8211||Community Psychology I|
|PSYC 8253||Social Cognition|
|PSYC 8277||Health Psychology|
|PSYC 8278||Behavioral Medicine|
|PSYC 8287||Current Topics in Clinical Psychology|
|PUBH 6262||Intro-Geog Information Systems|
|PUBH 6400||Global Health Frameworks|
|PUBH 6416||Ethical and Cultural Issues in Global Health Research and Programs|
|PUBH 6431||Global Health Communication Strategies and Skills|
|PUBH 6442||Comparative Global Health Systems|
|Current Issues in Public Health|
|ECON 8375||Econometrics I|
|HCS 8369||Issues in Health Care|
|HDEV 8100||Issues and Special Topics in Human Development|
|PUBH 6274||Emerging ID for PH Pro's|
|PUBH 6368||Law, Medicine, and Ethics|
|PUBH 6532||Commnty Org,Devlpmnt&Advocacy|
|PUBH 6573||Media Advocacy for Public Hlth|
|PUBH 8405||Advanced Topics: Health Economics Research|
|PUBH 8422||Advanced Health Care and Public Health Research Design|
|Students may be permitted to take alternative elective course with the approval of the program director.|
|Dissertation Preparation and Dissertation|
|7 credits taken as follows:|
|1 credit in Advanced Theorizing in Social and Behavioral Sciences in Public Health (course pending)|
|and 6 credits in:|
|PUBH 8999||Dissertation Research|