Health Services Administration Specialist
Program Director L. Friedman
The health services administration specialist degree program helps students become leaders who possess the values, knowledge, and skills to achieve optimal delivery of health care. The program is designed for individuals who have earned a post-baccalaureate degree and wish to either change careers by gaining knowledge and skills in health services administration or to upgrade their formal knowledge and skills in health care administration to include the latest advancements in the field.
Applicants must hold a post-baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
Specific admission requirements are shown on the Graduate Program Finder.
Visit the program website for additional program information.
All Health Services Administration Specialist degree candidates complete 30 graduate credits of approved coursework.
- Thirty graduate credits are required. The Specialist has one required course: HSML 6270 Research in Health Services Administration (Independent Study). All other courses are chosen in consultation with the program director.
- The program director must pre-approve all course selections and sequencing by developing a “program of study” with the student prior to initial registration. Specialist candidates must meet with the program director each semester before registration; all changes to the program of study must be approved.
- The program director may approve up to eight graduate credits that have not been applied to a previous graduate degree as transfer credit into the Specialist degree program. Course(s) must be relevant to the Specialist degree; credit must have been earned from an accredited institution within the past three years with a grade of B, or better.
- Grade Point Requirement: A 3.0 (B average) overall grade point average, or better, is required.
- Time Limit Requirement: The degree must be completed within four years.
|HSML 6270||Research in Health Services Administration|
|HSML courses that may be taken for the specialist:|
|PUBH 6004||Environmental and Occupational Health in a Sustainable World|
|HSML 6202||Introduction to Health Services Delivery|
|HSML 6203||Introduction to Health Management|
|HSML 6204||Quality and Performance Improvement|
|HSML 6207||Health Services Information Applications|
|HSML 6208||Medical Informatics|
|HSML 6209||Health Services Finance|
|HSML 6210||Health Services Financial Applications|
|HSML 6211||Health Economics|
|HSML 6212||Community Health Management and Advocacy|
|HSML 6213||Health Services, Marketing, and Planning|
|HSML 6215||Health Law for Managers|
|HSML 6216||Human Resources Management and Organizational Behavior|
|HSML 6218||Seminar: Health Services Management and Leadership|
|HSML 6231||Management of Acute Care Hospitals|
|HSML 6236||Aging and Disability: Needs and Services|
|HSML 6237||Managing the Skilled Nursing Facility|
|HSML 6238||Ambulatory Care Management|
|HSML 6244||Supply Chain Management in Health Services|
|HSML 6245||Disaster Management for Health Care Organizations|
|HSML 6246||Service Line and Project Management|
|HSML 6247||Consulting in Health Care|
|HSML 6285||Readings in Health Services Management|
|HSML 6286||Readings in Health Services Management|
|HSML 6299||Topics in HSML|