Doctor of Philosophy in the field of English with optional concentrations in English or American literature
Specific admission requirements are shown on the Graduate Program Finder.
Prerequisite: a Bachelor of Arts degree with an undergraduate major in English or American literature, or 24 credits in English or American literature above the sophomore level.
The following requirements must be fulfilled:
The general requirements stated under Columbian College of Arts and Sciences, Graduate Programs.
The requirements for the Doctor of Philosophy Program.
- Coursework planned in consultation with the department advisor
- A comprehension exam in a language approved by the department
- A qualifying examination passed at the beginning of the student’s second year and a field examination passed by the end of the student’s coursework, topics and reading lists for which are designed in consultation with two graduate faculty advisors
- A dissertation proposal after the field exam
- A dissertation on an approved topic, directed by a member of the department’s graduate faculty, and completed by the end of the fifth year of study.
Each student plans a program of studies in consultation with the department advisor and a committee of the graduate faculty. Students must maintain a grade-point average of at least 3.5.