Doctor of Public Health in the Field of Health Policy
Program Director A. Markus
The doctor of public health (DrPH) health policy specialty field degree program focuses on understanding and learning to apply to complex and real world problems the policy framework of public health and health care. Particular emphasis is placed on areas affecting medically underserved and vulnerable populations. The specialty field allows candidates to work at the nexus of health policy, public health practice, and health services research.
The goal of the health policy specialty field is to create doctoral-level public health professionals who are uniquely equipped to provide real-world leadership at the national and state levels in all phases of public health, health care, and health policy development and implementation. The objectives of this specialty field are to:
- Provide advanced training on cutting edge issues in health policy; and
- Equip candidates with the research and analytic methods to conduct the types of advanced analyses that can make a real difference in health care and public health.
Program Policies and Procedures
For program policies and procedures, please refer to the Doctor of Public Health Handbook and other resources located on the program website.
Visit the program website for additional program information.
|22 credits of required foundational and research methods courses|
|PUBH 8401||Foundations in Public Health Leadership and Practice|
|PUBH 8402||Leadership and Decision Making: Skills Based Approach|
|PUBH 8403||Leadership in Public Health Policy and Practice|
|PUBH 8416||Study Design & Evaluation Methods|
|PUBH 8417||Qualitative Research Methods and Analysis|
|PUBH 8418||Applied Statistical Analysis|
|PUBH 8419||Measurement in Public Health and Health Services|
|PUBH 8420||Advanced Analysis and Dissemination|
|6 credits of required specialty field courses|
|PUBH 8404||Advanced Topics: Health Systems and Health Policy Research|
|PUBH 8405||Advanced Topics: Health Economics Research|
|7 to 10 credits of specialty field courses|
|PUBH 6330||Health Services and Law|
|PUBH 6325||Federal Policymaking and Policy Advocacy|
|PUBH 6335||Public Health and Law|
|PUBH 6360||Advanced Maternal and Child Health Policy|
|PUBH 6362||Civil Rights Issue/Health Care|
|PUBH 6376||Primary Health Care Policy|
|2 credits of professional leadership courses (minimum of 2 must be Instructional Leadership)|
|PUBH 8413||Research Leadership|
|PUBH 8415||Instructional Leadership|
|8 to 11 credits of dissertation preparation and dissertation|
|PUBH 8422||Advanced Health Care and Public Health Research Design|
|PUBH 8423||Dissertation Research|
- Credits: Successful completion of 48 credits.
- Curriculum: Successful completion of the foundational, research methods, program-specific specialty field, and professional leadership courses.
- Comprehensive examination: Once the course of study is completed, students are required to pass the comprehensive exam to be officially admitted to the candidacy phase.
- Dissertation: PUBH 8422 Advanced Health Care and Public Health Research Design plus 6 to 9 credits in dissertation research credits are required. Once the proposal has been successfully defended and the dissertation research credit requirements has been met, the oral defense may be scheduled.
- Grade-point average: A minimum overall grade-point average of B (3.0).
- Time limit: The degree must be completed within seven years.
Note: no transfer credits are accepted.