Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences with a Major in Cytotechnology
Established between GW and the Medical Education Training Campus (METC), the bachelor of science in health sciences with a major in cytotechnology degree program is restricted to pre-selected military service members.
This one-year contract program provides GW educational services to eligible active duty U.S. Army service members, including:
- Academic advising for students who have outstanding prerequisites for eligibility.
- Application and registration services.
- Academic record maintenance.
- Conferral of a bachelor of science in health sciences degree to students upon successful completion of 126 credits in the required program.
The following requirements must be fulfilled: 126 credits, including 49 credits in general education, 27 credits in advanced standing and electives, and 50 credits in distance education clinical laboratory sciences and health sciences courses.
General education (49 credits)
- Biology* (20 credits)
- Chemistry* (8 credits)
- College Algebra, Statistics, or higher (3 credits)
- Humanities or Social Sciences (12 credits)
- English Composition (6 credits)
*Students with the MLT Certificate will have these transfer credits applied to fulfill all of the biology, chemistry, and elective requirements for the degree program.
Electives (27 credits)
Previously earned college-level coursework will be evaluated for transfer as elective credit. Acceptable transfer coursework must be:
- Academic in nature
- Completed at a regionally accredited institution
- Earned with a C or above (C- grades do not transfer)
|Clinical laboratory coursework|
|MLS 4101||Introduction to Cytotechnology|
|MLS 4102||Gynecologic Cytology|
|MLS 4103||Abnormal Gynecologic Cytology|
|MLS 4104||Pulmonary Cytology|
|MLS 4105||Cytology of the Gastrointestinal Tract, Liver, and Pancreas|
|MLS 4106||Urogenital System Cytology|
|MLS 4107||Body Cavity Fluid Cytology|
|MLS 4108||Fine Needle Aspiration|
|MLS 4109||Cytotechnology Clinical Practicum|
|MLS 4110||Independent Study in Cytotechnology|
|GW coursework - completed through GW distance education coursework|
|HSCI 2112||Writing in the Health Sciences|
|MLS 4151||Molecular Diagnostics|