The CIM Courses system will be down temporarily undergoing routine maintenance.
Apr 9, 2015 by Minhee Koo (mkoo)
Jun 4, 2015 by Minhee Koo (mkoo)
EFL 0060 : Integrated Skills for Academic English: Reading and Writing I
Thu, 04 Jun 2015 08:32:12 GMT
Wed, 03 Jun 2015 00:11:30 GMT
Programs referencing this course
AES-ND: Applied English Study
Columbian College of Arts and Sciences
English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
Long Course Title
Integrated Skills for Academic English: Reading and Writing I
Short Course Title
Reading and Writing I
Number of Credits
Default Grading Method
Credit/No Credit Mode
Repeatable for Credit?
Frequency of Offering
Are there Course Equivalents?
Are Fees Applicable?
Explanation and Description of Fees
Are Additional Resources Required?
Explanation of Additional Resources
Justification for Additional Resources
Describe any Sources of Additional Funding
Focus on the linked skills of reading and writing to help international students develop a base of academic skills that supports their entry into a program of study in U.S. higher education. Organized around cross-disciplinary materials, with structured exercises and examples to build students’ skills systematically.
By participating fully in all activities and assignments, students will be able to:
• Understand the culture of the U.S. university classroom; participate actively in academic activities in English
• Develop skills to understand the rhetorical context, content, and structure of academic readings
• Build awareness of key vocabulary on the Academic Word List
• Acquire a set of language structures appropriate for writing in academic contexts
• Complete short writing tasks using development patterns relevant to U.S. higher education
• Recognize the importance of academic integrity and apply basic principles of quoting, summarizing, paraphrasing, and citation
• Improve critical thinking and critical expression skills
Uploaded a Course Syllabus
EFL 60 Syllabus.docx
Explanation of how the course differs from similar GW courses
Course Reviewer Comments