The CIM Courses system will be down temporarily undergoing routine maintenance.
Oct 15, 2015 by Sharon White (sgwhite)
PA 6122 : Role of PA in American Health Care
Thu, 15 Oct 2015 09:20:41 GMT
Sat, 14 Mar 2015 17:50:09 GMT
Catalog Pages referencing this course
Physician Assistant (PA)
Programs referencing this course
EHSP-PAMPH: Physician Assistant and Environmental Health Science and Policy
PA-EHSP: Physician Assistant and Environmental Health Science and Policy
PA-GEH: MSHS in the Field of Physician Assistant and MPH in Global Environmental Health
PA-MPH: Joint MSHS in the Field of Physician Assistant and MPH in Community-Oriented Primary Care
PA-MPHE: Joint MSHS in the Field of Physician Assistant and MPH (Epidemiology)
PA-MPHHP: Physician Assistant and Health Policy
PA-MSHS: Physician Assistant
School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Physician Assistant (PA)
Long Course Title
Role of PA in American Health Care
Short Course Title
PA Role American Health Care
Number of Credits
Default Grading Method
Repeatable for Credit?
Frequency of Offering
Are there Course Equivalents?
Are Fees Applicable?
Explanation and Description of Fees
Are Additional Resources Required?
Explanation of Additional Resources
Justification for Additional Resources
Describe any Sources of Additional Funding
The history, development, and current status of the physician assistant profession within the context of the U.S. health system, such as practice roles, legal issues, and economic aspects of the profession.
COURSE GOALS: By the end of this course, the student will:
1. Compare and contrast the major systems of public and private health financing systems in the U.S. and abroad.
2. Critique the U.S. health system and its components, in terms of problems with health care access, health insurance, and health disparities.
3. Identify major policy issues related to the U.S. health care system.
4. Evaluate the history, current status and major demographic trends of the PA profession.
5. Discuss the role of the physician assistant, its impact, educational models and current trends.
6. Assess the legal and economic basis of the PA profession to include the systems of PA state regulation, national certification, and institutional credentialing.
7. Evaluate current controversies in the health care sector and the PA profession.
8. Describe the standard PA educational goals; including accreditation guidelines and requirements.
9. Describe the role of the PA in the healthcare system, both past and present including current trends and the implication to the future.
Uploaded a Course Syllabus
Explanation of how the course differs from similar GW courses
Course Reviewer Comments
Mon, 15 Dec 2014 17:34:37 GMT
Old course PA 6219. No changes to content. Renumbering only as part of curriculum update (submitted in PIM)
Thu, 18 Dec 2014 20:38:14 GMT
Rollback: pending further review