The CIM Courses system will be down temporarily undergoing routine maintenance.
May 3, 2017 by Elisse Brunori (ebrunori)
PUBH 8402 : Leadership and Decision Making: Skills Based Approach
Wed, 03 May 2017 08:02:50 GMT
Thu, 13 Apr 2017 20:07:57 GMT
Catalog Pages referencing this course
Prevention and Community Health
Public Health (PUBH)
Programs referencing this course
EOH-DRPH: Environmental and Occupational Health
GH-DRPH: Global Health
HB-DRPH: Health Behavior
HP-DRPH: Health Policy
Other Courses referencing this course
In The Catalog Prerequisites:
PUBH 8403 : Leadership in Public Health Policy and Practice
Milken Institute School of Public Health
Public Health (PUBH)
Long Course Title
Leadership and Decision Making: Skills Based Approach
Short Course Title
Leadrship & Decision Making
Number of Credits
Default Grading Method
Repeatable for Credit?
Frequency of Offering
Are there Course Equivalents?
Are Fees Applicable?
Explanation and Description of Fees
Are Additional Resources Required?
Explanation of Additional Resources
Justification for Additional Resources
Describe any Sources of Additional Funding
Using leadership and decision making skills to solve complex health problems and implement successful solutions to improve population health in all communities; decision making, program management, quality and risk management, human resources and budget, governance, and change management.
Upon completion of the course, students will be able to:
• Apply principles of leadership and decision making to the context of public health programs
• Know how to make ethical decisions with integrity to achieve results
• Understand the dynamics of behavioral impacts of decision making
• Explain the WRAP model (as described in Decisive) and apply the model to public health decision making situations
• Develop project charters, cost models, budgets, quality management, risk management, and human resource management in public health leadership and decision making situations
• Understand factors that impair judgment and decision making
• Incorporate strategic problem solving into decision making across public health scenarios
• Analyze the validity of conventional approaches to root cause analysis that many managers employ
• Develop project plans to enhance population health using the tools, models, and skills in the disciplines of leadership, decision making, and project planning
• Apply learnings to real world health care/services leadership and decision making situations via case study and simulation methodology
Uploaded a Course Syllabus
PUBH 8402 NEW Leadership Decision Making.docx
Explanation of how the course differs from similar GW courses
The DrPH leadership and practice sequence has been revised. A new course has been added and is being submitted simultaneously (PUBH 8403). The addition of the new course and the new sequence requires signinficant changes to the content of this course. This is a required DrPH course.
Course Reviewer Comments
Fri, 03 Feb 2017 01:45:24 GMT
Rollback: Syllabus for the course needs to include a statement about the number of hours students are expected to spend in and out of the class. See assignment of credit hour policy: https://provost.gwu.edu/files/downloads/Resources/Assignment-of-Credit-Hours_Final_Oct-2016.pdf