The CIM Courses system will be down temporarily undergoing routine maintenance.
Oct 22, 2015 by Heather Young (youngh)
PUBH 6016 : Field/Laboratory Experience
Thu, 22 Oct 2015 19:52:31 GMT
Wed, 01 Apr 2015 17:35:21 GMT
Catalog Pages referencing this course
Prevention and Community Health
Public Health (PUBH)
Programs referencing this course
PHMEID-MS: Public Health Microbiology and Emerging Infectious Diseases
Milken Institute School of Public Health
Public Health (PUBH)
Long Course Title
Short Course Title
Number of Credits
Field Work (Internship)
Default Grading Method
Credit/No Credit Mode
Repeatable for Credit?
Frequency of Offering
Are there Course Equivalents?
Are Fees Applicable?
Explanation and Description of Fees
Are Additional Resources Required?
Explanation of Additional Resources
Justification for Additional Resources
Describe any Sources of Additional Funding
The overall purpose of the field/laboratory experience requirement is to introduce students in the MS-PHMEID degree program to a supervised practical experience in a Public Health Laboratory or other qualifying public health entity from the perspective of the actual wet laboratory operations. Students that already have this laboratory experience will be introduced to epidemiologic research, particularly surveillance, and its tie-in with laboratories either in the United States or in an international setting.
• Description of the key elements of specimen collection( biological, entomological and environmental) and transport and storage of these specimens.
• Description of the key aspects of chain-of-study for collection, transport, receipt and processing of specimens
• Description of the proper use of the specific test kits and containers for the specimen collection
• Description of the key elements of the Good Clinical Laboratory Practices (GCLP) or Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) and how they apply to specific laboratory activities
• Discussion of privacy issues and identity protection of sensitive laboratory information
• Description of the proper use of the various lab instruments and understanding key calibration and maintenance issues
Uploaded a Course Syllabus
Field Lab MS Syllabus Fall 2014.doc
Explanation of how the course differs from similar GW courses
Course Reviewer Comments