The CIM Courses system will be down temporarily undergoing routine maintenance.
Nov 3, 2014 by Amanda McLaughlin (alm113)
Apr 21, 2016 by Amanda McLaughlin (alm113)
PHIL 3162 : Philosophy of Art
Thu, 21 Apr 2016 09:12:08 GMT
Tue, 03 Mar 2015 20:55:45 GMT
Catalog Pages referencing this course
Other Courses referencing this course
As A Banner Equivalent:
PHIL 3162W : Philosophy of Art
Columbian College of Arts and Sciences
Long Course Title
Philosophy of Art
Short Course Title
Philosophy of Art
Number of Credits
Default Grading Method
Repeatable for Credit?
PHIL 1051 or PHIL 2111 or PHIL 2112 or PHIL 3113
Frequency of Offering
Are there Course Equivalents?
PHIL 3162W - Philosophy of Art
Are Fees Applicable?
Explanation and Description of Fees
Are Additional Resources Required?
Explanation of Additional Resources
Justification for Additional Resources
Describe any Sources of Additional Funding
The problem of artistic representation and the nature of aesthetic experience as related to the creation, appreciation, and criticism of art. Special emphasis on nonrepresentational works of art and their interpretation.
By the end of the course, students will be able to:
• Articulate and evaluate major concepts and approaches to the philosophy of art in the Western aesthetics tradition.
• Construct a variety of original written arguments that:
• Analyze the logic of individual texts.
• Synthesize a relationship between two or more texts.
• Marshal elements from multiple texts to meet the students' own argumentative goals.
• Construct an original research paper in the philosophy of art that includes multiple opportunities throughout the semester for collaboration with and feedback from faculty and peers.
Uploaded a Course Syllabus
PHIL 3162W_Philosophy of Art.doc
Explanation of how the course differs from similar GW courses
CCAS - GCR: Humanities
SEAS - Humanities Electives
The department has decided to rename the course in order to boost enrollment. The title Philosophy of Art is a simpler way of describing the course's contents.
Course Reviewer Comments