The CIM Courses system will be down temporarily undergoing routine maintenance.
Apr 18, 2016 by Joe Velez (velezjd)
Aug 15, 2017 by Mary Pearce (marypearce)
NURS 3116 : Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing
Tue, 15 Aug 2017 08:02:49 GMT
Sun, 06 Aug 2017 16:41:44 GMT
Catalog Pages referencing this course
School of Nursing
Programs referencing this course
School of Nursing
Long Course Title
Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing
Short Course Title
Psychiatric Mental Health Nurs
Number of Credits
Default Grading Method
Repeatable for Credit?
NURS 3110W, NURS 3111, NURS 3112, NURS 3113 and NURS 3118
Frequency of Offering
Are there Course Equivalents?
Are Fees Applicable?
Explanation and Description of Fees
Are Additional Resources Required?
Explanation of Additional Resources
Justification for Additional Resources
Describe any Sources of Additional Funding
Theoretical principles, concepts, and skills applicable to the provision of safe and effective nursing interventions to clients across the lifespan who are experiencing psychiatric and mental health conditions.
1. Apply theories, concepts and philosophies of psychiatric-mental health nursing to interventions, strategies and outcomes of nursing care in the psychiatric-mental health environment
2. Describe the legal rights for clients experiencing psychiatric conditions.
3. Incorporate therapeutic communication skills when interacting with clients and families.
4. Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively with members of the multidisciplinary healthcare team in meeting the needs of the client with a mental health problem.
5. Utilize the nursing process to plan and provide care for clients with psychiatric disorders or mental health illness and their families.
6. Discuss various psychotherapeutic treatment modalities, including psychopharmacology.
7. Demonstrate ability to perform a client centered interview and a psychiatric nursing assessment.
8. Analyze systematically collected information when providing, safe, quality, client-centered care.
9. Identify evidence-based client-centered teaching and learning.
10. Identify appropriate community resources for mental health care.
11. Demonstrate clinical competency as outlined in the BSN Clinical Evaluation Tool
12. Exhibit professional behaviors that enhance quality care consistent with the ANA standards of care.
13. Synthesize and assimilate the various roles of the nurse as a member of the health care team in the psychiatric setting.
14. Interrelate characteristics of culture to promote congruence and facilitate the delivery of culturally competent care.
Uploaded a Course Syllabus
Final_Nurs 3116 NPCR III, MedSurg III, Psych.docx
NURS 3116 - Syllabus Summer 2017.docx
Explanation of how the course differs from similar GW courses
Course Reviewer Comments