Foundational values, knowledge, skills, and competencies for safe, evidence-based, professional, and holistic nursing care of adults with common medical and surgical needs.
1. Use critical thinking to make clinical judgments about the expected outcomes and
effects of selected nursing interventions related to caring for clients.
2. Utilize the five (5) steps of the nursing process to provide holistic nursing care, prevent
disease and promote optimal health to individuals experiencing alterations in health.
3. Demonstrate knowledge of scientific rationales for providing nursing care to individuals
experiencing selected conditions.
4. Demonstrate knowledge of principles of effective therapeutic communication with
individuals and families of diverse backgrounds.
5. Demonstrate knowledge of principles of effective collaboration with colleagues in other
6. Describe the role of the nurse in assuring patient safety, quality of care, continuity of
care, patient confidentiality, and ethical care.
7. Demonstrate the role of the nurse in assuring patient safety, quality of care, continuity
of care, patient confidentiality, and ethical care.
8. Apply knowledge of client rights, and of developmental and cultural differences in
provision of professional nursing care.
9. Integrate teaching into nursing care of selected adults of different ages.
10. Apply knowledge of legal, regulatory and ethical issues to the professional practice
11. Demonstrate the values and characteristics of the professional role while providing
care to adults of different ages including advocacy and accepting a delegated
12. Demonstrate the principles of safe medication administration.