Challenges of operating in developing countries. Cross-country experience and case studies exploring issues of institutions, corruption, infrastructure, private–public partnerships, competition, regulation, and global standards.
1. Define the term “institution” and explain how the word has been defined and used in various
2. Describe how history shapes the scope, nature, and efficacy of institutions in developing
3. Identify the roles played by the government and the private sector, including multinationals,
non-profits, and NGOs, in developing countries,
4. Explain and provide detailed examples of how institutions in developing countries both
constrain and provide opportunities for organizations and managers,
5. Apply the theoretical concepts and principles discussed in class to analysis of real world
problems faced by organizations and managers in developing countries,
6. Converse intelligently with their counterparts, strategic investors, government officials, and
business leaders on the policy problems facing many developing countries.