The CIM Courses system will be down temporarily undergoing routine maintenance.
Apr 7, 2017 by Andrea Huezo (aghuezo)
AH 2162 : History of Photography
Fri, 07 Apr 2017 08:01:40 GMT
Thu, 06 Apr 2017 13:08:01 GMT
Catalog Pages referencing this course
Art History (AH)
Programs referencing this course
AH-BA: Art History
AHFA-BA: Art History and Fine Arts
FA-BA: Fine Arts
Columbian College of Arts and Sciences
Art/Art History (AH)
Long Course Title
History of Photography
Short Course Title
History of Photography
Number of Credits
Default Grading Method
Repeatable for Credit?
Frequency of Offering
Are there Course Equivalents?
Are Fees Applicable?
Explanation and Description of Fees
Are Additional Resources Required?
Explanation of Additional Resources
Justification for Additional Resources
Describe any Sources of Additional Funding
The historical, social, aesthetic and technological developments of the photographic medium,
including its relationship to modern art and modes of visual representation and the properties
that inform our understanding of photographic meaning.
As a result of completing this course, students will be able to:
1. read and think critically about the history of photography; analyze and interpret theories of photography
2. develop their abilities to articulate these new-found insights in oral and written form
3. develop research skills and the ability to write at shorter and greater length about photography (and by virtue of this practice, about anything)
4. offer a contribution to the field based on original research
GPAC-SPECIFIC LEARNING OBJECTIVES (CRITICAL THINKING)
1) analyze and evaluate complex information
2) analyze scholarly literature on photography, in particular its theoretical orientation and sources of support
3) formulate an argument based on the analysis of that scholarly literature and visual sources
Uploaded a Course Syllabus
Explanation of how the course differs from similar GW courses
CCAS-Amer.Studies Focus Area 6
CCAS - GCR: Humanities
SEAS - Humanities Electives
Requesting designation as Arts GPAC.
Approved for Arts GPAC by the GPAC Committee on 3-8-17 - CG
Course Reviewer Comments
Thu, 10 Nov 2016 14:55:29 GMT
Rollback: Please complete the attached g-pac checklist
Wed, 01 Mar 2017 16:10:11 GMT
Rollback: Hi Andrea, please fill out the attached GPAC Checklist if you are requesting GPAC for this course. Thanks!