The CIM Courses system will be down temporarily undergoing routine maintenance.
Apr 13, 2017 by María de la Fuente (mjfuente)
SPAN 4200 : Spanish Applied Linguistics
Thu, 13 Apr 2017 15:57:16 GMT
Tue, 04 Apr 2017 23:51:12 GMT
Catalog Pages referencing this course
Columbian College of Arts and Sciences
Romance, German and Slavic Languages and Literature (RGSL)
Long Course Title
Spanish Applied Linguistics
Short Course Title
Spanish Applied Linguistics
Number of Credits
Default Grading Method
Repeatable for Credit?
students in the combined BA in Spanish/MEd in the field of secondary education program
de la Fuente, María J
Frequency of Offering
Are there Course Equivalents?
Are Fees Applicable?
Explanation and Description of Fees
Are Additional Resources Required?
Explanation of Additional Resources
Justification for Additional Resources
Describe any Sources of Additional Funding
Principles and aspects of the Spanish language, as well as relevant notions of second language acquisition, technology, and assessment as applied to Spanish language teaching and learning. Taught in Spanish.
• demonstrate an advanced high level of communicative proficiency in Spanish,
• have a comprehensive knowledge of structural and cultural aspects of Spanish language and its implications for to learning and teaching.
• have an understanding of the major theories of second language acquisition/learning and related approaches to teaching.
• have a better understanding of how the learner’s first language, L2 input, L2 output, and instruction affect SLA.
• evaluate instructional approaches and develop meaningful learning activities drawing on their knowledge of Spanish.
• obtain a better understanding of specific problem areas for learners of Spanish language.
• understand the ACTFL Standards for Foreign Language Learning and be able to apply these principles to the development of lesson plans and learning objectives.
• understand a variety of assessment tools and methods to measure students’ learning.
• be able to use the terminology particular to foreign language teaching that is necessary for informed conversation in the field, especially to formulate and communicate his or her goals for growth as a professional educator.
• articulate a personal philosophy of foreign language teaching
• identify and describe some dialectal differences in the Spanish-speaking world (i.e. geographical and sociological differences in pronunciation, vocabulary, syntax, etc.).
Uploaded a Course Syllabus
Required Syllabus Template_082516.docx
SPAN 4200 Spanish Applied Linguistics.pdf
Explanation of how the course differs from similar GW courses
This course does not exist in GWU. It has been created as part of the new M Ed in Spanish Teaching, a collaboration between RGSLL (CCAS) and the Department of Instruction (GSEHD).
Course Reviewer Comments
Wed, 15 Feb 2017 22:12:27 GMT
Rollback: Please update the syllabus to include the mental health statement, instead of the ucc statement. required syllabus template attached for further guidance.
Tue, 28 Feb 2017 20:48:42 GMT
Removed the GCR and Gen Ed attributes as this is a new course and we no longer use these attributes.