The CIM Courses system will be down temporarily undergoing routine maintenance.
Feb 2, 2017 by mwaring
NURS 6289 : Influencing Health Care Legislative Policy
Thu, 02 Feb 2017 09:02:58 GMT
Thu, 19 Jan 2017 17:05:43 GMT
Catalog Pages referencing this course
School of Nursing
Programs referencing this course
HPME-GC: Graduate Certificate in Health Policy and Media Engagement
School of Nursing
Long Course Title
Influencing Health Care Legislative Policy
Short Course Title
Influencing HC Legisla Policy
Number of Credits
Default Grading Method
Repeatable for Credit?
NURS 6285, NURS 6286 and NURS 6287
Frequency of Offering
Are there Course Equivalents?
Are Fees Applicable?
Explanation and Description of Fees
Are Additional Resources Required?
Explanation of Additional Resources
Justification for Additional Resources
Describe any Sources of Additional Funding
Constituent representation and fiduciary roles and responsibilities through participation on boards and committees; preparation of briefing materials, testimony, public comments regarding proposed rules.
1) Prepare an analysis of a policy under consideration, including status within the
policymaking process and requirements for enactment.
2) Prepare a legislative briefing, analyzing a policy topic relevant to the current legislative
session (either state or Federal) for important stakeholders.
3) Collaborate with a professional nursing organization or other stakeholder group to develop
relevant legislative briefing materials.
4) Critically analyze interactions with Hill staff and their responses to face to face and virtual
Hill visits with Federal and/or State legislators/staff on a pending legislative health issue to
modify one’s own level of preparation for such visits.
5) Analyze the strengths and weaknesses of at least one health policy media event in which
the student actively engaged.
6) Analyze the impact upon stakeholders and their policy agenda of at least one observed
national or state board of directors meeting (professional organization or other).
7) Synthesize the strategies gained from interviews of at least two members of different
health policy Boards of Directors to inform one’s own interaction on a future board.
Uploaded a Course Syllabus
Policy Certificate NURS 6289 Influencing Legislative Policy Approved.pdf
Explanation of how the course differs from similar GW courses
Course Reviewer Comments