The CIM Courses system will be down temporarily undergoing routine maintenance.
Apr 13, 2017 by Elisse Brunori (ebrunori)
Jul 11, 2017 by Eden Slone (edencslone)
PUBH 8403 : Leadership in Public Health Policy and Practice
Tue, 11 Jul 2017 08:02:04 GMT
Fri, 07 Jul 2017 18:18:47 GMT
Catalog Pages referencing this course
Prevention and Community Health
Public Health (PUBH)
Programs referencing this course
EOH-DRPH: Environmental and Occupational Health
GH-DRPH: Global Health
HB-DRPH: Health Behavior
HP-DRPH: Health Policy
Milken Institute School of Public Health
Public Health (PUBH)
Long Course Title
Leadership in Public Health Policy and Practice
Short Course Title
Leadershp in PH Polic/Practice
Number of Credits
Default Grading Method
students in the DrPh program
Repeatable for Credit?
Frequency of Offering
Are there Course Equivalents?
Are Fees Applicable?
Explanation and Description of Fees
Are Additional Resources Required?
Explanation of Additional Resources
Justification for Additional Resources
Describe any Sources of Additional Funding
Students work in teams on projects for clients from public health-related agencies or organizations in the Washington, DC, area that address issues in environmental and occupational health, global health, health behavior, and health policy.
Upon completion of the course, you will be able to:
• Apply principles of leadership to the context of public health programs.
• Create a leadership model for effective personal growth and teamwork.
• Understand yourself better in the context to lead.
• Develop a leadership model for effective personal growth.
• Learn the distinctions between leadership and management and the role of each in effective public health organizations.
• Understand how to effectively manage change, and identify strategies to lead change.
• Know how to lead people with integrity to achieve results (performance, productivity, and process improvements).
• Understand the dynamics of leadership, leading change, leading people, leading for results, team building, conflict within teams, communication, operations management, and quality process improvement.
• Apply theory to a real world leadership situation via case study methodology
• Learn how experienced individuals from a variety of fields exercise leadership and what they have learned.
Uploaded a Course Syllabus
PUBH 8403 Ldrshp in PH Practice.docx
Explanation of how the course differs from similar GW courses
Course Reviewer Comments