The CIM Courses system will be down temporarily undergoing routine maintenance.
Jan 16, 2017 by Jonathan Higman (jhigman)
ANTH 3409 : Evolution of Primate Life Histories
Mon, 16 Jan 2017 09:01:29 GMT
Thu, 12 Jan 2017 21:18:25 GMT
Catalog Pages referencing this course
Programs referencing this course
BIAN-BS: Biological Anthropology
Columbian College of Arts and Sciences
Long Course Title
Evolution of Primate Life Histories
Short Course Title
Evolutn Primate Life Histories
Number of Credits
Default Grading Method
Repeatable for Credit?
Frequency of Offering
Are there Course Equivalents?
Are Fees Applicable?
Explanation and Description of Fees
Are Additional Resources Required?
Explanation of Additional Resources
Justification for Additional Resources
Describe any Sources of Additional Funding
Human and non-human primate life histories and their evolution; factors such as body size, brain size, fertility, and life span. Features of modern human life histories, proposed explanations for them, and pertinent fossil evidence.
(1) Explain theoretical and conceptual foundations for the study of primate life history evolution, as well as relationships between life history attributes, growth and development, and socioecology;
(2) Apply evolutionary theory to explain diversity in primate life histories;
(3) Explain the unique features of modern human life history, examples of how modern human life histories vary, and the basic empirical evidence for human life history evolution;
(4) Present, discuss and critically evaluate theoretical arguments and empirical evidence in the primary scientific literature on topics relevant to life history evolution, and consider how these findings are interpreted and communicated by the media to the public;
(5) Synthesize and use knowledge gained in this course to explore in more depth a chosen research question of relevance to primate life history research, and critically evaluate the empirical evidence and theoretical arguments surrounding this question in the form of a comprehensive literature review and class presentation.
Uploaded a Course Syllabus
ANTH 3409 - Evolution of human life history.docx
Explanation of how the course differs from similar GW courses
Course Reviewer Comments