The CIM Courses system will be down temporarily undergoing routine maintenance.
Nov 16, 2016 by Joe Velez (velezjd)
Aug 15, 2017 by Mary Pearce (marypearce)
NURS 4109 : Introduction to Perioperative Nursing
Tue, 15 Aug 2017 08:01:57 GMT
Sun, 06 Aug 2017 16:43:26 GMT
Catalog Pages referencing this course
School of Nursing
Programs referencing this course
School of Nursing
Long Course Title
Introduction to Perioperative Nursing
Short Course Title
Intro to Perioperative Nursing
Number of Credits
Default Grading Method
Repeatable for Credit?
Frequency of Offering
Are there Course Equivalents?
Are Fees Applicable?
Explanation and Description of Fees
Are Additional Resources Required?
Explanation of Additional Resources
Justification for Additional Resources
Describe any Sources of Additional Funding
The role of and fundamental knowledge, skills, and competencies needed by the perioperative nurse.
1. Understand the theoretical principles applicable to perioperative nursing.
2. Describe the scope and standards of AORN’s Guidelines for Perioperative Practice.
3. Explain the roles of perioperative care providers, with a focus on the Nurse Circulator.
4. Examine legal-ethical issues relevant to the perioperative nurse.
5. Demonstrate knowledge regarding the principles of effective collaboration and teamwork with colleagues in other professional disciplines.
6. Demonstrate the application of core perioperative safety standards in order to deliver safe patient care within a perioperative environment.
7. Demonstrate core nursing principles, skills, assessment techniques and the nursing process in the three phases of the patient’s surgical experience.
8. Apply infection prevention strategies in sterile and non-sterile fields.
Uploaded a Course Syllabus
Nurs 4109 - Intro to perioperative nursing.docx
Explanation of how the course differs from similar GW courses
Course Reviewer Comments
Tue, 21 Feb 2017 15:33:38 GMT
Rollback: needs updated syllabus