The CIM Courses system will be down temporarily undergoing routine maintenance.
Jul 29, 2016 by Michelle Armstrong (marmstrong)
IDIS 8305 : Hospital Administration (Business of Medicine) Elective
Fri, 29 Jul 2016 08:04:54 GMT
Wed, 20 Jul 2016 13:15:01 GMT
School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Long Course Title
Hospital Administration (Business of Medicine) Elective
Short Course Title
Number of Credits
Field Work (Internship)
Default Grading Method
Repeatable for Credit?
Donald Brideau, MD
Frequency of Offering
Are there Course Equivalents?
Are Fees Applicable?
Explanation and Description of Fees
Are Additional Resources Required?
Explanation of Additional Resources
Justification for Additional Resources
Describe any Sources of Additional Funding
The Medical Business Elective is offered at various times of the year depending on preceptor availability. This elective is designed to give students exposure to the complex interdisciplinary skills and knowledge that are needed for physicians in leadership roles to bring about change in the current health care fields. By directly working with an executive preceptor in the DC area, students will attend meetings and activities with hospital administration and leaders of clinical team (sepsis, stroke etc). Students will also participate in select activities from Inova’s 21st Century Leadership Development Course. Students will have several required readings from health care quality journals. Students will learn the LEAN/Six Sigma approach to process improvement through required readings and discussions with their preceptor to formulate a written solution to a problem of their choosing. At the end of the elective, students will write a brief 1-2 page reflection paper on this experience as well as create an informal letter less than one page, to future students detailing their advice on how to best approach the elective.
By the end of the course, students should be able to:
• Describe aspects of leadership needed to form solutions to healthcare and healthcare system problems.
• Discuss processes and procedures necessary for running a hospital effectively • Apply the LEAN/Six Sigma Model of process improvement to quality or safety issue for a hospital or healthcare system.
• Recognize the ethical considerations and solutions involved in medical business decision making
• Explain inter-professional relationships across a wide variety of clinical and administrative occupations
• Recognize the skills necessary to manage and lead multidisciplinary teams
• Demonstrate awareness and business acumen regarding the myriad perspectives and complexities surrounding the current healthcare economic climate (e.g. healthcare costs, Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement schedules, prescription drug costs, governmental policy, etc).
Uploaded a Course Syllabus
Hospital Administration (Business of Medicine) Elective.docx
Explanation of how the course differs from similar GW courses
Course Reviewer Comments