The CIM Courses system will be down temporarily undergoing routine maintenance.
Oct 27, 2016 by Joe Velez (velezjd)
Jul 18, 2017 by Mary Pearce (marypearce)
NURS 6242 : Psychopharmacology
Tue, 18 Jul 2017 08:01:57 GMT
Mon, 10 Jul 2017 19:00:38 GMT
Catalog Pages referencing this course
School of Nursing
Programs referencing this course
MHNP-PMC: Post-Master's Certificate, Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
School of Nursing
Long Course Title
Short Course Title
Number of Credits
Default Grading Method
Repeatable for Credit?
NURS 6220, NURS 6222 and NURS 6234
Frequency of Offering
Are there Course Equivalents?
Are Fees Applicable?
Explanation and Description of Fees
Are Additional Resources Required?
Explanation of Additional Resources
Justification for Additional Resources
Describe any Sources of Additional Funding
Overview of the neurobiological and psychopharmacological principles for the clinical management of psychotropic medications in the treatment of mental illnesses across the lifespan; integrates neuroanatomy, pharmacogenomics, neurophysiology, pathophysiology, biochemistry, pharmacology and behavioral science.
1. Synthesize knowledge derived from neuroanatomy, neurophysiology, pathophysiology, biochemistry, pharmacology and the behavioral sciences to evaluate the use of psychopharmacological agents in the treatment of mental illnesses across the lifespan.
2. Compare the biochemical mechanisms by which psychopharmacological agents impact cognition and behavior.
3. Create individualized psychopharmacological treatment strategies to treat target symptoms of mental illnesses across the lifespan.
4. Evaluate therapeutic and adverse effects of common psychopharmacological agents in the treatment of mental illnesses across the lifespan.
5. Analyze current evidence-based research and evaluate the impact on advanced practice psychiatric/mental health nursing prescribing practices.
6. Appraise the legal and ethical issues involved in prescribing psychopharmacological agents in the treatment of mental illness across the lifespan.
Uploaded a Course Syllabus
Explanation of how the course differs from similar GW courses
Course Reviewer Comments